Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Million Little Pieces To Start

I am a million little pieces.
I am a complicated person with many complexities behind my brown eyes.
I am still the most uncomplicated person I know.
I am a rape survivor.
I have never spoken it out loud.
I wrote it for the first time, just now.
I am considering re-writing this already.
I ate through the pain.
I prayed every night that no one would want me again if I was big.
I broke apart.
I've fought my whole life.
I wage a daily battle with my mind.
I used to wallow in the beautiful heartache of Adam Duritz songs.
I moved cities, countries, always traveling, always starting over.
I kept every one at a distance.
I came home in 2008 because my mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
I come from a one parent home. My mum is my world.
I fell apart.
I got back up again.
I liked Mars from "The Kill" days.
I rediscovered the beauty & healing power of Mars in 2008.
I decided I'm worth loving and that love had to come from within.
I know I'm more than the struggles of my past.
I ran through a mall on my lunch break with my BEB (Best Echelon Buddy) on Dec 7th to buy This Is War.
I realised that was the day life had became fun again.
I am 28, & my life has only just become exciting to live again.
I owe that to Mars, to the Echelon which is my family.
I sat on a beach at sunset, with two seals cuddling nearby & listened to Alibi for the first time.
I never felt more love within me than at that moment.
I refuse to lay down & let my past beat me.
I fought past the fear of not being good enough to live my dreams.
I now have my dream career as a photographer.
I never feel more like myself than when I listen to Mars, or with a camera in my hand at a concert.
I am daily in the gym with Mars on my ipod, not with the aim to be thin or perfect, but to be healthy.
I can't imagine life with out Mars and the Echelon.
I am striving to get my creativity flowing again.
I love a lot of different music but lately I find,
I listen to Mars almost constantly.
I love how it makes me want to be better, as a person, an artist, a friend, a sister, a daughter.
I fight for more in my life, for the right kinds of things.
I am still searching.
I am still discovering more of myself.
I don't think I'll ever be complete, but it no longer scares me. The war excites me.
I'm pushing back.
I'm moving forward.
I listen to the music of Mars.
I feel their words, because they are my words, they are the story of My life too.
I am so thankful to Shannon, Tomo & Jared for being true to who they are & sharing it with me.
I am so proud to be part of something bigger than myself.
I am Echelon.
I am on a crazy adventure of discovery and wonder and hope and faith and love
And the sum of my million little pieces.

<3 JAM (aka Sarah) Dunedin, New Zealand.

4 comments:

  1. Wow girl! I'm so sorry for everything that has happened to you and I hope you know that you are better than that! No one can take care of you as you can yourself, don't let yourself down! And believe!!!

    Echelon love,
    Noël

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah...
    My heart aches for the trauma you experienced, and the ensuing struggles you faced.
    Without going into my own history, suffice it to say...I know where you're coming from.
    It does get better, as I'm sure you now know; and your strength is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your words.
    Ever find there is a life lyric in Mars music for every situation?

    "No matter how many lives that I live I will never regret, there is a fire inside of this heart and a riot about to explode into flames"

    Every one of us on this earth struggles in different and similar ways, that's life - it's all we've got and we will all eventually find our way back to a heartbeat that's happy.

    I am, some days I just have to work a little harder to be. But all the best things in life are worth working hard for!

    <3 Much love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! And sometimes you gotta read between the lines aswel... 30STM always gets to you one way or another;) Just always remember to get back up again after you fall apart;)

    Echelon love,
    Noël

    ReplyDelete